- Office: BENSON THEOLOGICAL CENTER
- Office Hours: Varies by semester
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 210-341-1366 x 330
- Psy.D in Clinical Psychology (Pepperdine University, 2005)
- M.S. in Counseling Psychology (Mount St. Mary’s College, Los Angeles, CA, 1991)
- M.Div. (Franciscan School of Theology, Berkeley, CA, 1984)
- B.A. in Philosophy (S. Mary’s College, Moraga, CA, 1979)
- Licensed Marriage, Family and Child Therapist (M.F.T.) - The State of California, License # 33922
Fr. Silva has researched, written and delivered various presentations for religious congregations and dioceses. He has served on the Standards Revision Committee for the Congregation of Major Superiors of Men (CMSM) and Praesidium. He co-authored a presentation for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) on the topic of Internet Pornography Use Among Catholic Clergy which was delivered at their national meeting in June of 2011. He created a risk assessment program while working at St. Luke Institute in Silver Spring, Maryland which assessed the risk of clergy and religious who were on safety plans. He also created a risk assessment tool for use by the religious superiors in the CMSM.
Fr. Silva oversees the Internship and Pastoral Year programs at Oblate School of Theology. He also teaches both introductory and advanced pastoral counseling courses.
Fr. Silva’s training is largely in Forensic Psychology. His research interests include: clergy sexual misconduct, clergy formation, investigation of factors and deficits which contribute to acting-out behavior in clergy, and assessment of readiness for ministry in candidates and newly ordained clergy.
- Clergy Misconduct
- Clergy Continuing Education
- Clergy Preparation